[FNCA History]

FNCA Construction & Improvements Dates

 

This is a chronology of when the various FNCA buildings were built and altered. Several for which exact dates are unknown are listed at the bottom of the page. A few of these that have been narrowed down to a range of just a few years are inserted in the chronology roughly where they go with notes indicating what is known. These are also included in the list of unknowns at the bottom of the page.

NEW items added in recent months:
Item                              Year/#                 Posted   
Laird Cabin new door       2012                   10/13
Main Bldg - new roof pic   2012                   10/4
Main Bldg/Early Days pic  1929                    9/20
Main Building roof            2012                    9/9
Pantry double doors reconfigured (Exact Dates Unknown list at bottom of page)

 

1928
The FNCA purchases nearly 12 acres of property between  Rte 302 and the Saco River.
1929
© FNCA 2018 The Kitchen is built.
1930
The current Dining Hall is added on to the northern end of the Kitchen. Referred to then as the "Assembly Room", the front end was used as the lecture hall and the back end as the dining hall.
1931
The Goddard Cabin is built.
1936© FNCA 2018
The Faxon Cabin is built.
1937
12 acres of land between the original parcel and the State Line is purchased, bringing the total up to 22 acres.
1938-1941
(sometime in there, maybe earlier)
The Hinckley Cabin is built.
1939
The Bellows Cabin is built.© Jon Cousins 20131940
Chalmers Lodge is built.
The Claxton Cabin is built.
1948
1. The Taft Cabin is built.
2. An electric light on our sign on the road is installed, with the switch to it in Chalmer's Lodge.
1949
The Murdoch Cabin is built.
1950
1. The Twitchell Cabin is built at a cost of $1,475.
2. A wooden flagpole made from a tree grown on the property was erected on the upper lawn at the center of the top of the hill.© FNCA 2018
1951
1. The Goddard Cabin porch is enlarged, roofed over, and screened in.
2. A fenced-in play yard for the children is built near where the current 4-Square cement tent platform stands.
1955
1. The Bray Cabin is built.
2. The Woofenden Cabin is built.
1959
The Goddard Annex is added onto the southern end of the Kitchen.
1962
The Mack Cabin is built.
1963
The Lawrence Cabin is built.© Rev. George F. Dole 19641964
The Dole Wing is added onto the northern end of the Dining Hall.
1968
The Perry Wing is added onto the back of the Dole Wing.
1975
Whitehead Lecture Hall is added onto the northern end of the Dole Wing.© FNCA 2018
1976 The Perry Cabin and Bath House are built.
1983?
The Hinckley Cabin is razed.
1984
Unused land at the northern end of the property is sold in order to purchase two housing plots in the Weston Way housing development at the southern end in New Hampshire, thus both creating a buffer between us and the development, as well as providing space for two more cabins along the river bank.
1986
The Boys Bunkhouse is built on the same cement © Trevor 2011platform where the old Big Boys Tent was.
1988
The Boston Cabin is built.
1990
The Laird Cabin is built.
2000-2008
(somewhere in there)
A wall is built in the Little Mack side of the Mack Cabin creating a private room that includes the pre-existing bathroom, separating it from the laundry area. At the same time on the Big Mack side of the Mack Cabin, the old entrance at the end of the building is replaced with a solid exterior wall, and a new interior wall is built creating a private room with a doorway into a new hallway that runs between the pre-existing bath on that side of the cabin to a new door on the front of the building so that both the residents of the new room as well as the© FNCA 2018 boys sleeping in the Bunkhouse can share that bathroom.
2003
1. Adrienne Frank Fellowship Hall is built.
2. The Bray Cabin porch and bathrooms are reconfigured.
2005
The Bray Cabin gets a new metal roof.
2011
1. The Twitchell Cabin entrances are moved from © Trevor 2011the front of the cabin to the end of the porches so you no longer enter directly into the bedrooms, and a wheelchair ramp is added to Twitchell South.
2. The walls of little tiny Room 10 (the old "hospital room" upstairs above the pantry in the Main Building) are taken down and a long wall is built from there along the eastern edge of the Cook's Quarters to the main stairway up to the Girls Dorm, thus creating a new hallway
from the upstairs bedrooms' hallway above the Dining Hall over to the Girls Dorm.
3. The tool/bike shed on the end of the Woofenden Cabin was beyond repair, so it was removed before putting a new metal roof on the cabin.
4. New shelves were added floor-to-ceiling on the north wall of the Toolshed to make room for the late Rev. Dr. Pop Woof's extensive tool collection.© 2018 Lee Dyer
2012
1. New metal roof on the entire Main Building.
2. New metal roof on the Perry Cabin.
3. New door and doorframe on the Laird Cabin.
2013
New metal roof on the Laird Cabin.
2015
New metal roof on the Bunkhouse.
2016
© Dana Richardson 20161. The Pump House gets a new foundation. ---------->
2. New metal roofs on the Taft Cabin and Claxton Cabin.
3. A small angled doorsill is added to the front door into the Dining Hall on the front porch to make it more wheelchair accessible.
4. Legal-size handicapped doorway installed on the 1st floor bathroom in the Dole Wing.
2017
1. The screen windows and © Trevor 2017wood panels to cover them on the front of Chalmers Lodge are replaced with openable glass window.
2. New metal roofs on the Faxon Cabin and Bellows Cabin.
2018
New metal roof on the Mack Cabin.

 


Exact Construction Dates Unknown:

Well House
(unknown, possibly built as early as 1929 when the Kitchen was built)

Tool Shed
(built in very early days, perhaps as an outhouse,
moved from the end of the Goddard Annex to it's present location sometime in the 1990s)

Pump House
(built in the early days sometime before 1946)

Hinckley Cabin
(built most likely sometime between 1938-1941)
(razed most likely in 1983)

Woofenden Cabin tool/bike shed
(built sometime in the 1970s???)

Kitchen
pantry entrance double doors center post removed
(somewhere between 1978-2009)

Twitchell Cabin
new metal roof
(sometime in the late 1990s)

Mack Cabin
private rooms divided out
(sometime between 2000-2008)

 

[FNCA History]

Main St (Route 302) & Haleytown Rd, Fryeburg, ME 04037 (map)