[FNCA map]

The Dining Hall

The FNCA dining hall was built in 1931. It is located just inside the main entrance to the Main Building from the front porch. It holds not only our dining area, but also the Sales Table, the Puzzle Club table, the old mail table, the camp phone, and a fireside lounge area that gets a lot of use by Sparks and Flames.

© Beki Greenwood 2010

© FNCA 1993Between meals, the dining hall gets used for a wide variety of other activities including dances, impromptu games of all sorts, art projects, Sparks Games on rainy days, some Evening Program activities, working  at the Puzzle Club table, and the annual Sales Table auction.

© Beki Greenwood 2010The 2nd floor above the dining hall contains 5 private bedrooms, the recently configured Single Women's Quarters, the Mouse Closet (a small mouse-proof room where we store the Assembly's blankets, linens, and pillows), and the two upstairs ladies' bathrooms.

© Nancy F. Little 2009

Attached to the front of the outside of the dining hall is our large, covered front porch which is a major hub of social activity during camp. It is packed with deck chairs and is a popular relaxing spot where many a conversation happens, many a good book is read, much handwork happens, and plenty of just taking in our gorgeous mountain view both alone and with friends.

The Assembly's camper sign-out sheet is also conveniently located on the front porch bulletin board for campers to leave a record of when they are off campus and when they return.

"The Dining Hall from the Loop"

© Beki Greenwood 2008
"The End of the Dining Hall from the Back Lawn"
© Trevor 2011

© Emily Woofenden 2008

 

 © Emily Woofenden 2008

© Dawn Crowe 2010

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© Beki Greenwood 2008
© FNCA 1952
 
© FNCA 2017

The above photo was taken shortly after the Dining Hall was built in 1931. Neither the Dole Wing or Whitehead Lecture Hall was built yet, so the Dining Hall had comfy chairs around the sides for people to relax in, and the front of the hall was used for chapel and lectures, too. Note the piano in the far left corner --- it's the same piano we're still using in Whitehead Hall. The double screen against the far wall is secluding the altar with the Bible on it. After breakfast was cleared, some of the tables were either folded up or pushed back, and rows of chairs were set up facing the altar for chapel and lectures. And then afterwards, the precedure was reversed to set up for lunch. 

[FNCA map]

Main St (Route 302) & Haleytown Rd, Fryeburg, ME 04037 (map)