[Photo Pages]

Remember When...?

NEW photos on this page in recent months:
Title or Theme                           Year       Posted
Front Porch w/out railings          1931         5/13
Boys Tents                                1933        4/16
Planted or Pranked?                   1995        1/14
 

 2020  2022
 2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2019 
 
2001  2003  2008
 1991 1995 
 1983
 
1972  1974
 1960  1961  1962  1965
 1950  1951
 1948
 1930s  1933
 1926

 

2022

Remember When...
Rev. Roslyn Taylor did her lecture outdoors?

© Trevor 2022

 

2020

Remember When...
ice was delivered to keep the walk-in fridge cool?

© Jon Crowe 2020

This is the little door on the kitchen porch where, in the very early days, the ice man dumped the ice in. If you were to open it now, you might see the outside of the back wall of the walk-in fridge. :D

 

2019

Remember When...
this was made... anyone???

© Ian Woofenden 2019
© Ian Woofenden 2019

This was a surprise find this year. If anyone has any idea when it was made, please contact the Webmaster.

 

2015

Remember When...
Rev. Susannah Currie not only wore a mighty lot of purple, but also sported a purple travel mug on Purple Day?

© Beki Greenwood 2015

 

2014

Remember When...
the Afternoon Book Club met several days each week?

© Beki Greenwood 2014

NOTE: After a few years hiatus, the Afternoon Book Club started up again in 2017, and has met each year since.

 

Remember When...
it was the inaugural year of the Dole 3 Miler?

© 2014 Ken Woofenden

(l. to r.) Maggie, Alia, and Emily Woofenden

 

2013

Remember When...
Nate and Margaret were babies together?

 

© Ken Woofenden 2013

 


2012

Remember When...
Trevor wrote the special bonus word "LALLA"
on his final turn in the first annual
LALLA Searle Memorial Scrabble Tournament?

© Jon Cousins 2012

 

Remember When...
Dr. Reuben Bell was on the lecture staff?

© Herb Ziegler 2012

We were delighted to have Dr. Reuben Bell lecturing in 2012.

 

2011

Remember When...
there were Parachute Games on the front lawn every Sunday evening for Sparks Games?

© Nancy F Little 2011

 

Remember When...
"Louise Remembers Louis"

© Ian Woofenden 2011

In her next to last year at camp, Louise Dole Woofenden was seen in the Dole Wing looking intently at the photo of her father, FNCA co-founder Louis Dole. This photo hangs on the wall in that room in his honor.


2010

Remember When...
someone from town biked to camp with their kid?

© Ian Woofenden 2010

Greg Huang-Dale's bike and kid carrier bike trailer.
 


2008

Remember When...
Ed Schnurr and Carolyn Judson came to camp every year?

© Amy Blackman 2008

 

Remember When...
all these kids were Sparks?

© Amy Blackman 2008

Sparks Games on the front lawn with Caleigh Crowe, Liz Dyer, Brendan Crowe, Ruby Blackman, and Trevor.


2003

Remember When...
we held the Flames 75th Reunion?

© Nancy F. Little 2003
© Nancy F. Little 2003
© Nancy F. Little 2003

(top to bottom) Here's the 2003 Flames remeniscing on stage, Rev. Dr. George F. Dole singing his classic Tiny Tim parody "Tinkering with the Toilets", and Josh Cook obviously enjoying the outdoor banquet.

 

2001

Remember When...
Ian Woof drove his converted family camper bus
all the way across the country to camp?

© FNCA 2001

 

Remember When...
there was a phone booth in the corner
of the Dining Hall?

© FNCA 2001

 

 

1995

Remember When...
these trees were either
"Planted or Pranked?"

© Dave Keating 1995

 

 

1991

Remember When...
the Laird Cabin was dedicated?

© Jon Cousins 2013
© 1991 Larry Young

Rev. Dr. Bill & Louise Woofenden, Dorothy Davies (Laird's mother), and Rev. Dr. George Dole on the patio at the Laird Cabin dedication.

The top picture is a more recent photo of the back of the cabin, the side facing the river.

 


1983

Remember When...
Pop Woof broke his leg the first day of camp?

© FNCA 1983

On the morning of first day of camp in 1983, Pop Woof was up on a stepstool working on the electrical boxes in the back of the Dining Hall trying to fix an electrical problem in the Kitchen. He thought the boxes had all been turned off, but one of them hadn't. When someone asked if he was sure he was all right doing this, he said: "There's no problem. I know what I am doing." Almost immediately there was a big flash and, in his words, he got "blown across the room" and broke his leg. That's Rev. Dave Rienstra accessing the new cast.

 


1974

Remember When...
the Main Building was only this big?

© Flood/Phinney 1974


Remember When...
the old Supply Tent was on the cement slab where the 4-Square court is today?

© Flood/Phinney 1974

Merrilee and Sean Phinney talking with Nathalie Brown by the Claxton Cabin. That's the old Supply Tent in the background.

 

1972

Remember When...
the Flames ate in the kitchen before meals?

© FNCA 1972

That's Doug White and Alice Wood (now Ames) in the foreground.

The next table (clockwise): ?? with her back to us, Malcolm Gale, ? Geis, Gerrit White, ? Geis, Ed Schnurr, Laura Woofenden.

And the far table (clockwise from left): Trevor, Lynn Zimmerman, Ian Woofenden, Debbie Sjostedt (now Cook), Ben Philibert, ??, ??, and Marion Gale.

 

1965

Remember When...
the Woofendens arrived in their camper bus every year?

© FNCA 1965


1962

Remember When...
the Flames class was held on the hill of the front lawn?

© FNCA 1962

Rev. George F. Dole teaching that very same Flames class from the lower lawn.

© FNCA 1962

 

1961

Remember When...
the Floods had their family reunion at the Assembly?

© FNCA 1961

l to r: Billy Flood, Wanda Richardson held by Judy Flood, Marilyn Flood, Dorrit Flood holding Dick Flood, Nathan Flood, Harold Flood, Joy Richardson (in front), Baxter Richardson, Merrilee Flood.

 

1960

Remember When...
the only thing stopping you from falling off the kitchen deck was a chain?

© Flood/Phinney 1960

Flames boys on the Goddard Annex porch, shucking corn for the Corn Roast on the beach that night. That's Peter Ball, Billy Flood, Richy Nichols, Mark Larsen(?), and Ricky Valladares.
 

Flames girls that same year.
Back row: Suzanne Melis, Cecilia Guiu, Muff Worden, Janet Buck. Front row: Susan Archer and Tina Guiu.

© Merrilee Phinney 1960

 

1951

Remember When...
the Doughnut Tree on Portland St. in Fryeburg
was a big attraction?

© George W. French 1951

 

 

1950

Remember When...
there was Friday Night Bean Supper on the lawn every Friday night?

© Jim Perry 1950

 

1948

Remember When...
the Main Building looked like this?

© Jim Perry 1948

In 1948, the Main Building was only in two parts: the Kitchen, built in 1929 (not including the current back kitchen which is actually part of the Goddard Annex), and the "Assembly Room", built in 1930, which is the current Dining Hall.

The front of the Assembly Room was used for lectures, hence the spotlight that's still on the ceiling at that end which was used to light the lecturn. And the back part of the Assembly Room was used as the dining hall. Depending on attendance, this arrangement often required folding up several tables right after breakfast and setting up more chairs to fit everyone in for lectures, and then folding up the chairs and setting the tables up again before lunch.

Remember When...
there were tent platforms down by the river?

© FNCA 1948

That's Alice Vigerstad looking out over the river. The Camp Historian is fairly sure that this tent platform was at the bottom of the ravine behind the Faxon Cabin.

 

1930s

Remember When...
the Main Building looked like this from the river?

© FNCA 1930s

 

Remember When...
the fireplace in the Dining Hall had windows on the left and a door to outside on the right?

© FNCA 1930s

 

1933

Remember When...
the boys all slept in tents?

© FNCA 1933

Perhaps as many as a dozen of these old WWI army tents were acquired in the early 1930s by FNCA co-founder the Rev. Louis A. Dole for the Assembly's use. These two are on wooden platforms where the Mack Cabin and Treehouse are now. Two more platforms for the girls' tents were located where the Bray and Woofenden Cabins are today. Other tent platforms were built in several places around the grounds, including down along the river bank. Later, cement platforms were poured for at least four of them, including the ones that currently hold our 4-Square court. and clotheslines. In 1986, when the Boys Dorm was built (now the Treehouse ), the last of these these tents were finally retired.

 

1931

Remember When...
the front porch didn't have any railings?

© FNCA 1931

Notice also that the stairs are just a narrow set of house steps and that there are no stairs at all on the other end! These steps were widened to the full width of the porch in 1933. Full-width steps were added to the other end somewhere between 1934 and 1938. Sometime in the 1940s, twin horizontal bars were added as railing between the posts. The current balustrade railings were installed in 1950 or 1951.

 

1926

Remember When...
the Assembly met at Fryeburg Academy?

© FNCA 1926

 

[Photo Pages]

84 Main St, Fryeburg, ME 04037 (map)