[FNCA History]

FNCA
Buildings Construction
Dates

This is a chronology of when the various FNCA buildings were built and altered. Several for which exact dates are unknown are listed at the bottom of the page. A few of these that have been narrowed down to a range of just a few years are inserted in the chronology roughly where they go with notes indicating what is known. These are also included in the list of unknowns at the bottom of the page.

NEW photos on this page in recent months:
Building                     Year                    Posted
Boston Cabin             1988                     5/27
Pump House              2016                     5/24
Hinckley Cabin           1983                     5/20
Frank Hall                  2003                     5/21
all the rest   when this page was created: 5/19

 

1928
The FNCA purchases nearly 12 acres of property between (but not abutting) Rte 302 and the Saco River.
1929
The Kitchen is built.
1930
The current Dining Hall is added on to the northern end of the Kitchen. Referred to then as the "Assembly© FNCA 2018 Room", the front end was used as the lecture hall and the back end as the dining hall.
1931
The Goddard Cabin and then the Faxon Cabin are built.
1935-1941?
(sometime in there)
The Bellows Cabin is built.
1937
12 acres of land between the original parcel and the State Line is purchased, bringing the total up to 22 acres.
1938-1941
(sometime in there, maybe earlier)
The Hinckley Cabin is built.© Jon Cousins 201319??
(before 1941)
Chalmers Lodge is built.
19??
(before 1948)
The Claxton Cabin is built.
1948
The Taft Cabin is built.
1949
The Murdoch Cabin is built.
1950
The Twitchell Cabin is built.© 2018 FNCA
1951
The Goddard Cabin porch is enlarged, roofed over, and screened in.
1955
The Bray Cabin is built.
1956
The Woofenden Cabin is built.
1959
The Goddard Annex is added onto the southern end of the Kitchen.
1962
The Mack Cabin is built.
1963
The Lawrence Cabin is built.© Rev. George F. Dole 19641964
The Dole Wing is added onto the northern end of the Dining Hall.
1968
The Perry Wing is added onto the back of the Dole Wing.
1975
Whitehead Lecture Hall is added onto the northern end of the Dole Wing.© 2018 FNCA
1976 The Perry Cabin and Bath House are built.
1983?
The Hinckley Cabin is razed.
1984
Unused land at the northern end of the property is sold in order to purchase two housing plots in the Weston Way housing development at the southern end in New Hampshire, thus both creating a buffer between us and the development, as well as providing space for two more cabins along the river bank.
1986
The Boys Bunkhouse is built on the same cement © Trevor 2011platform where the old Big Boys Tent was.
1988
The Boston Cabin is built.
1990
The Laird Cabin is built.
2000-2008
(somewhere in there)
A wall is built in the Little Mack side of the Mack Cabin creating a private room that includes the pre-existing bathroom, separating it from the laundry area. At the same time on the Big Mack side of the Mack Cabin, the old entrance at the end of the building is replaced with a solid exterior wall, and a new interior wall is built creating a private room with a doorway into a new hallway that runs between the pre-existing bath on that side of the cabin to a new door on the front of the building so that both the residents of the new room as well as the© FNCA 2018 boys sleeping in the Bunkhouse can share that bathroom.
2003
Adrienne Frank Fellowship Hall is built.
2011
1. The Twitchell Cabin entrances are moved from © Trevor 2011the front of the cabin to the end of the porches so you no longer enter into the bedrooms, and a wheelchair ramp is added to Twitchell South.
2. The walls of little tiny Room 10 (the old "hospital room" upstairs above the pantry in the Main Building) are taken down and a long wall is built from there along the eastern edge of the Cook's Quarters to the main stairway up to the Girls Dorm, thus creating a new hallway
© Dana Richardson 2016from the upstairs bedrooms' hallway above the Dining Hall over to the Girls Dorm.
2016 The Pump House gets a new foundation. ---------->
2017
The screen windows and © Trevor 2017wood panels to cover them on the front of Chalmers Lodge are replaced with openable glass window.
 

 

 


Exact Dates Unknown:
Bellows Cabin
(sometime between 1935-1941)
Chalmers Lodge
(sometime between 1932-1941)
Claxton Cabin
(sometime between 1941-1948)
Hinckley Cabin
(built sometime between 1938-1941)
(razed sometime in the early 1980's, probably 1983)
Mack Cabin
private rooms divided out
(sometime between 2000-2008)
Pump House
Tool Shed
Well House

 

[FNCA History]

Main St (Route 302) & Haleytown Rd, Fryeburg, ME 04037 (map)